*This makes 4 almost foot long stromboli
2 loaves of pre-made frozen white bread dough (I used Rhodes brand)
Filling of choice
- Defrost the bread dough overnight in the refrigerator
- In the morning or day of:
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Dust the work surface with flour
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle, divide the dough in half crosswise
- Roll each piece of dough into a larger rectangle, approx 1/4 inch thick and 11x14 inches wide, with the wide side facing you
- Cover the dough with the sauce or mayonaise and mustard, sprinkle the cheese and add the filling
- Roll from the wide side, from bottom to the top and seal the edges and the sides by pinching them with your fingers
- Lay them seam side down on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat liner
- Let them sit for about 20 minutes (this is not absolutely necessary, they will not rise anymore, just get kind of puffy.) and then cut slits on top to let air escape..The seam cutting part is very necessary!
- Bake until the crust is golden brown (about 20-30 minutes), rotating occasionally for even cooking.
- Let it cool on a baking rack for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Marinara or pizza sauce
2 slices of deli ham
2 slices of deli turkey
Mediterranean (not pictured, but I am eating it as I am writing):
Rolling up with pepperoni filling
Ready to bake