1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
4 cups chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1 package frozen phyllo dough, thawed in refrigerator
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
2 whole cloves
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a food processor, pulse walnuts with the cinnamon and sugar, set aside
- Place stack of thawed phyllo sheets on a work surface
- Brush the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch lasagna pan with butter
- Lay one sheet of phyllo dough in the pan and brush it with butter.
- Repeat until you have 4 layers on the bottom of the pan, brushing each with butter as you layer
- Sprinkle phyllo stack with 1/3 cup walnut filling
- Lay another sheet of phyllo on top and brush with butter. Repeat until the filling is used up, reserving 5 sheets of phyllo for the top layer.
- With a sharp knife, trim the edges
- Using a sharp knife, cut unbaked baklava into squares, or triangles, or diamond shapes
- Bake until puffed and golden 30 to 35 minutes.
- *While it is baking, make syrup by bringing all of the syrup ingredients to a boil and letting it simmer until the sugar is dissolved and mixture is syrupy (approx 10 minutes)
- Transfer the baklava out of the oven onto a wire rack and let it cool slightly
- Pour hot syrup over the baklava and let it stand at room temperature until syrup is absorbed, at least 3 hours.
- To store, keep at room temp for up to 3 days.
Brush each layer with melted butter
Sprinkle in walnut mixture
Trim the edges