Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Banana Pudding

This dessert reminds me of banana cream pie.  It has all of the same components except instead of a pastry crust, it uses Vanilla Wafers.  The flavors are so good together.  It is the perfect lightly-sweet ending to any meal.  This is another Joy of Cooking recipe.  I use this book so much, one would think it's the only one I own.  I'm just so excited to have it back after such a long time that I can't put it down.  Don't let the simplicity fool you, this is a winner.

Banana Pudding
from cookbook Joy of Cooking

2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole milk
3 or 4 large egg yolks
2 to 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
60 to 70 vanilla wafers
4 to 5 ripe, firm, large bananas
  • Mix first three ingredients together in a medium heavy saucepan
  • Gradually stir in milk, making sure to dissolve the cornstarch
  • Whisk egg yolks in thoroughly
  • Add the butter
  • Cook on stovetop over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer, stirring constantly
  • Reduce heat to low, stirring briskly, bring to simmer and cook for 2 minutes
  • Remove from heat and stir in vanilla
  • Press plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and set aside
  • Peel and slice bananas
  • Line the bottom and sides of a 2 to 2 1/2 quart dish with the wafers
  • Cover with half the pudding and bananas. Arrange a layer of wafers over the top, then cover with more pudding and the rest of the bananas.  Spoon pudding over any exposed bananas to prevent browning. 
  • Press plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. 
  • Just before serving, top with whipped cream.
Make the custard and cover it with plastic
Layer bottom and sides of dish with Vanilla Wafers (I only layered bottom)
Alternate with pudding, bananas, more wafers, pudding, bananas
Cover with plastic and chill
I also made some individual ones in small glasses
Top with whipped cream

5 comments:

  1. I love Banana Pudding. I first tasted this in Magnolia Bakery New York. Your recipe looks fantastic and I will be sure to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep meaning to make this. I think I may now have everything I need. A really nice recipe here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make this recipe all the time. I also use the Joy of Cooking recipe for meringue. It presents well and is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was growing up we had a copy that had a banana pudding recipe that was simple, simple, simple - and never failed. When I bought my own copy I found that the more recent edition had not only complicated the recipe - adding more steps, but it didn't turn out as well. Why would they mess with something that wasn't broken - just to make it seem fancier? Anyway - this version sounds like the one I grew up with. I'm copying it this time so I don't have to hunt the internet for the right one! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails