Friday, March 19, 2010

Blondies (Butterscotch Brownies)

Here's another favorite from Joy of Cooking.  I was able to procure another copy of this Classic book (my third...don't ask) and am loving being able to go back and make some of the recipes that I tried when I first started cooking. This is one of them and they're still great.  Blondies are a cross between a brownie and a chocolate chip cookie.  The chocolate and the nuts are optional in the recipe, but they are an absolute requirement at this house.


Butterscotch Brownies or Blondies:
from the cookbook Joy of Cooking
 *Pre heat oven to 350, grease an 8 inch square baking pan lined with foil
*Whisk together thoroughly:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
*In a large heavy saucepan, melt, then boil, stirring constantly until light golden brown
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
*Remove from heat and stir in until well blended
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
*Let cool to barely warm. Stir in well combined
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
*Stir in flour mixture and if desired
1 cup chopped, toasted pecans (I used walnuts)
1 cup chocolate chips or 2/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
*Stcrape into the pan.  Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comesout clean, 25 to 30 minutes.  Cool completely in the pan on a rack.
Dip this into your milk!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my... (drools) these Blondies look AWESOME. I've been looking for a fab blondie recipe to try and yours sounds great. I am so making these as soon as I check my pantry to check for supplies. TYSM... Lori

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails