Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thai Beef Salad (Yum Nuah)

I will admit upfront that I cannot stand Thai restaurant food.  However, I took a Thai cooking class about 20 yrs ago, and everything that I made from the class was fabulous so I can't say that I dislike Thai food.  The great thing about homemade is that you can adjust ingredients like sugar and omit flavors that you don't care for.

This is a recipe for a hot and sour beef salad.  The fresh lime juice in the dressing is amazing.  You can adjust the heat according to your taste preference.  If you want it hotter, you can use fresh red Serrano chili, chopped.  Or if you prefer a milder version, you can use dried crushed red pepper.  This is another addictive salad.  But it's not a meal to feel guilty about.

Thai Beef Salad
2 pounds steak ( I used rib eye, sirloin would work well also)
Juice of 1 juicy lime (about 1/4 cup)
1 large tomato, sliced thin
2 stems green onion, chopped fine (white and green parts)
4 stalks cilantro, chopped fine (optional)
1 tablespoon red crushed chili
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 small head of lettuce (I used mixed baby greens)

Broil steak in oven until it is done the way you like it (mine is medium well, although the picture would have been prettier if it were medium rare).  Slice thin.
In medium bowl, combine lime juice, fish sauce, green onion, cilantro, and red chili
First toss the beef slices in the sauce, and set aside.
Then toss the lettuce and tomato in the sauce and arrange on a plate with beef slices on top.





(Day 3- 8/lower body, TKB)

2 comments:

  1. I hate Thai food too! But this looks YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so yummy! The lime juice makes it pretty sour, but in a really good way!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails