Saturday, March 27, 2010

Tangy Meatloaf

I've never been much of a meatloaf fan.  I don't know if it's just the name, "meatloaf" that sounded unappealing to me.  Nah, I just never had meatloaf that was anything other than greasy yet surprisingly dry, and full of gristle.  I thought I would give it another shot since I'm an adult now (in age anyway).  I pulled out my "The Pioneer Woman Cooks" cookbook and made this.    The white-ish chunks inside the loaf are not fat. Those are chunks of bread.  Apparently I didn't smush it up enough.  But I was pleasantly surprised. This was very tender, not greasy and flavorful.  I used a good quality, organic beef and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.  If you are a meatloaf fan, or even if you aren't, you should try this recipe...if only for the meatloaf sandwiches you can make with the leftovers.  The meatloaf was good, but the meatloaf sandwiches were awesome! 

Meatloaf:
from the cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks

1 cup milk
6 bread slices
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt, such as Lawry's
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup minced flat leaf parsley
4 eggs, beaten
8-12 thin bacon slices

Tomato Gravy:

1 1/2 cups ketchup
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Dashor two of hot sauce

  • Preheat oven to 350 F
  • Pour milk over the bread and allow it to soak in for several minutes
  • Place the ground beef, milk-soaked bread, Parmesan chees, salt, seasoned salt, black pepper, and parsley in a large mixing bowl and pour in the eggs.
  • With clean hands, mix ingredients until well combined.
  • Form the misture into a loaf shape on a broiler pan, which allows the fat from the meat to drain. 
  • Lay bacon slices over the top tucking them underneath the meatloaf
  • Make the tomato gravy by mixing all of the ingredients in a bowl
  • Pour a third of the tomato gravy over the top of the meatloaf
  • Bake for 45 minutes, then pour another third over the meatloaf again.
  • Bake for another 10 minutes
  • Serve with the remaining tomato gravy on the side as a dipping sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails